Climbing The Big Dune

16:07

Dreams Come TRUE!
I'm so glad to say it again and again because climbing the big sand dune of Pilat has been on my bucket list for ages. This breathtaking scenery has always haunted my mind. I'm so glad I checked it off and I can be proud of myself for going on exploration by myself. Yes, my first solo trip and I chose to explore the South West of France.
I don't know if you ever heard if the "Dune du Pilat" before.

LOCATION
Country: France
Region: Aquitaine
Department: Gironde
The Dune of Pilat is the tallest sand dune in Europe, it is located in La Teste-de-Buch int the Arcachon Bay area, France 60 km from Bordeaux.
On one side of the dune is the Atlantic Ocean, and the other side is the forest. 
The dune height is currently 110 meters above the sea level. I heard its shape changes constantly due to the wind. The Dune of Pilat is a famous tourist destination with more than one million visitors per year. It is definitely a must see.
This is Eduarda, I met her and two guys at the bus stop on our way to the sand dune.
WHAT TO WEAR
It is better to wear light clothing and also bring a windbreaker because it could be super windy up there. For the shoes, it is more comfortable to wear sandals after walking barefoot on the sand.
I'm wearing a jacket from The North Face, similar here.
HOW I GOT THERE
I took a TER train from Bordeaux to Arcachon, the ticket costs around 20 round trip from SNCF. Then I took a bus from Arcachon Train Station bus#1 to Plage de la Salie and I stopped at "Dune du Pilat" (2 round trip). You can also rent a car and drive straight to the sand dune.  Driving from Bordeaux takes 50 minutes. More information here.
 WHAT TO BRING
Don't over pack your bag because the climb is exhausting. I would recommend bringing;
 A huge bottle of water

Some snacks

A book

A hat

Sunglasses

Suncream
Some cash (no ATM around or near Arcachon Train Station, it is a small town)

I hope you enjoyed this post. Leave me a message on the comments section and see you on Instagram @theblossommuse & Facebook The Blossom Muse
XO
Pelny

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Total Pageviews

Let's connect

Translate