Teach me LINGALA

18:47

MBOTÉ NA BINO! (Hi there)

Today I will introduce to you my favorite language in the whole world: LINGALA!
If you are African, you probably know or heard it through many songs from famous singers like Papa Wemba, Werrason, Koffi Olomidé, Fally Ipupa, or worship bands like Makoma, GAEL,...

Lingala is a Bantu language spoken mainly in both Congo (Rep. of Congo a.k.a Congo-Brazzaville and DR of Congo a.k.a Congo-Kinshasa) as a national language.
I grew up hearing French, Lingala, Kituba, and dialects on a daily basis. However, Lingala as always been my favorite language (English too) and I am really proud to understand and speak it.

INTRODUCTION

Mboté - Hello, Hi
Mboté na yo, moninga - Hello my friend
Ndéngé nini?  - How are you?
Na za Malamu - I am Fine
Sango té - Nothing new
Kombo na nga Pelny - My name is Pelny
Na vandaka na Canada - I live in Canada


SOME COMMON VERBS

Ko zala na - To Have
(Naza na bilamba ébélé - I have a lot of clothes)

Ko séka - To Laugh
(Azali ko séka - She laughs, she is laughing)

Ko Kendé - To Go
(Naza ko kendé zando -  I am going to the market)

Ko linga - To Love
(Na lingui yo - I love you)



A FEW WORDS

Moyi - the Sun

Sapato - Shoes

Esengo - Joy


Note: Some Lingala words take their origin from the English language, such as;
- Miliki for Milk
- Supou for Soup
- Motuka from motor car; a car

It is going to be more difficult for an Anglophone to learn Lingala than a Francophone because the pronunciation is more similar to the French language. But do not worry nothing is impossible. 
I think the best way to learn a new language is to Fall in love with the country, the culture and the people.
If you want to listen to a song in Lingala to give you an idea of the sonorities, here is the Spotify link of Fally Ipupa new album TOKOOOS
Songs 100% in Lingala are:  Esengo, Na lingui yé, Posa, Eloko oyo. Let me know in the comments section what you think of the songs.
XO

Follow me on social media
IG: @theblossommuse / Facebook: The Blossom Muse / YouTube channel

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Total Pageviews

Let's connect

Translate