Exploring Oahu, Hawaii

22:46

If you follow me on Instagram you would have seen that I recently visited the island of Oahu in Hawaii. I have been dreaming about going to Hawaii since I was a kid. Earlier this year I didn't know it was going to happen. I am so glad that opportunity came up.
I still have no words to describe what I saw and experienced. It was an incredible trip and I will tell you in another post what Hawaii means for me. From now enjoy the photographs and some tips from that amazing week spent in heaven.
Oahu is the third largest of the Hawaiian islands. 
My friend and I flew to Honolulu from Calgary YYC passing by Vancouver YVR where we spent ten hours exploring the city.
I previously visited Vancouver last year in March when I attended Fashion Week FW14.  
After spending the whole day in Vancouver and flying for 6 hours, I was beyond excited to finally touch down in Honolulu. We arrived by night, the weather wasn't too humid and one of our friend that was also on vacations there came to welcome us to the airport with a lei. I was more than happy about this traditional Hawaiian greeting.
Lunch at the Shore Fyre

EAT/DRINK
We ate at Duke's, they have a very nice and affordable breakfast buffet and the restaurant has a view to Waikiki beach.
The Shore Fyre has very nice breakfast too (very big, good to share with someone) and their lunch menu is good as well.

I loved the pizzas at California pizza chicken and the patio has a great view to Kalakaua avenue (main avenue). If you visit the North Shore you have to try the food trucks, we stopped by The Galley food truck- Haleiwa beach, the sandwiches taste so good. Also try guava smoothies, fresh coconut water, mangos, pineapples sold on the road. They taste incredibly good.
Nuuanu Pali Lookout

ACCOMMODATION
Located about 35 minutes drive from Honolulu airport, we stayed in a hostel in Waikiki very close by the beach. We booked a private room with a bathroom (no food included) and the price was really good.

There are many options for the accommodation depending on your budget and what comfort you want. Around Waikiki which is a very busy area with tourists, you have very nice hotels.
The Royal Hawaiian and the Moana surfrider are my favorite ones in Waikiki. The decoration is really unique and exotic. We enjoyed live music almost every night at the Beach Bar (Moana Surfrider). You can also find Hyatt, Hilton, Sheraton and many other famous hotels and resorts or rent an apartment through airbnb.
Breakfast at Duke's

WHAT TO DO & SEE
There are endless things to do and places to see in Oahu. 
You can hike Diamond Head crater, Coco head; it is better to do it early morning because it get very hot during the day.
You can also surf or try stand up paddle anywhere around the island. Just one thing if you are not a surfer don't go venture in the North Shore, the waves are so strong there.
Go to Nuuanu Pali lookout for a stunning panoramic view of Windward Oahu and Koolau mountain. Hanauma Bay is an incredible scenic spot too (one of my favourite).
Visit the Dole plantation for an unforgettable pineapple experience.
Go to the Polynesian Cultural Centre, visit the different islands and see the amazing Polynesian dancing show.
We went snorkelling on our last day, it was my very first time doing it and I was extremely excited.
We sailed for 15 minutes with a group of people. Then once in the water, the thought of being surrounded by such mass of water and seeing fishes and huge turtles down there scared me. But it was beautiful and totally worth it. I am so glad I did it but too bad I didn't have a GoPro or waterproof case for my camera to capture that beauty.
A guava smoothie; no better way to end up a long hike. It was so good!!
TRANSPORT
You can take the bus to get around Waikiki. 
We rented a car for two days only to explore the North Shore and the East side of the island, you can also go for an organized tour. We personally avoid guided tour groups because we wanted to be able to stop anywhere and spend as much time we needed.
Photos by Eunice C. and I

Wearing: orange dress Asos, maxi blue skirt Zara, lace top Garage, flower skirt Foreverxx1, red skirt Bershka, white off shoulder random store.

Have you ever been to any Hawaiian island? If you have some other tips, please let me know in the comments below. Me and my readers will appreciate it :)

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. love it! i'm visiting oahu this sunday, and this made me super excited :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an amazing blog about the Waikiki Beach is SO WEIRD and I really appreciate you work which you have done well.
    Waikiki Beach is SO WEIRD

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

Let's connect

Translate